If a message gets stuck in your Outbox, it could be due to a large attachment.
- Go to Send/Receive > Work Offline.
- In the Navigation Pane on the left, select Outbox.
- Now you can:
- Delete the message by selecting and pressing the Delete button.
- Drag the message to the drafts folder, then open the message by double-clicking it, and delete the attachment (pressing Delete upon selection).
- Place the attachment on a file server or any other location where others can access it, and then add the location to the message.
- In case an error says that Outlook is trying to transmit the message, close Outlook, and it may take few moments to exit.
Note: In case Outlook doesn't close even after several minutes or an Outlook is not responding message comes up, press Ctrl+Alt+Delete and select Start Task Manager. In the Task Manager, choose the Processes tab, find and select outlook.exe, and click on End Process.
- When Outlook closes, restart it and go through steps 2-3 again.
- After removing the attachment, go to Send/Receive > Work Offline in order to deselect the button and continue working online.
Note: Messages can also get stuck if you click Send when you're not connected. Click on Send/Receive and observe the Work Offline button. In case the button is blue, click on it to connect (the button will turn white), and then click on Send All.