When you try to send an e-mail message from a third-party program, such as a Usenet newsreader, you get the following error message:
“Either there is no default mail client or the current mail client cannot fulfil the messaging request. Please run Microsoft Outlook and set it as the default mail client.”
This issue may occur if the Outlook registry key is corrupted. When other programs try to use the Outlook Simple MAPI interface, they cannot retrieve the required information from the registry.
To resolve this issue, you must first remove the corrupted Outlook registry key, and then perform a Detect and Repair operation to have Outlook rebuild the key.
To do this, follow these steps:
- Go to Start, and then click Run.
- In the Open box, type regedit, and then press ENTER.
- In Registry Editor, find the following subkey in the registry:
- Select the subkey, and then press DELETE.
- Click Yes.
- Quit Registry Editor.
- Start Outlook.
- For Outlook 2000 and Outlook 2002, click the Help menu, and then click Detect and Repair .
For Outlook 2007, click the Help menu, and then click Office Diagnostics .
For Office 2010, Click Start, click Control Panel, click Programs and Features, select Microsoft Office 2010 and then click the Change button. Next, click Repair, and then click Continue.
- Follow the instructions on the screen to complete the repair.